Thursday, May 17, 2018

Giving Thanks Where it is Due



Yesterday, Wednesday May 16, 2018, Moore Historical Consulting's first National Register of Historic Places nomination was approved and officially listed by the Tennessee Historical Commission's State National Register Review Board. In total there were seven sites that were listed. I want to devote this week's Throwback Thursday to saying thanks to those that helped and encouraged me throughout the National Register Process.

Chuck Sutherland (Upper Cumberland Development District): One of the requirements in writing a National Register Nomination is to include a series of maps (USGS, aerial, and terrain) showing the boundaries of the nominated property. Chuck assisted me with this and took the time to make the changes that I needed him to make per National Park Service policy. Thank you Chuck!!

Dr. Michael "Birdie" Birdwell (Tennessee Technological University): Birdie was my first higher education history teacher. I never dreamed all that time ago that our relationship would go from teacher to student to colleague to colleague. Birdie has been nothing but an encouragement to me and is always keeping me connected with various things. He is responsible for helping me get into the field of public history. Thank you Birdie!!

Charlene McClain (Tennessee Technological University): Charlene was with me from the start of this project, and was on board 100% from start to finish. Whenever there was a piece of information I could not find she hunted it down like a bloodhound. There were times that I wanted and tried to give up, but she always talked me out of it. Her knowledge and resources are valuable. Thank you Charlene!!

Claudette Stager, Holly Barnett, and Rebecca Schmitt (Tennessee Historical Commission): I really could have included the entire THC staff, because they are all top notch, but these three ladies really helped me out with this project. They never once needed to make a site visit, and they always respected my opinions on everything. They made sure that I was prepared to defend my NR nomination to the State Review Board and was not going up before them blind. Sometimes this meant tedious revisions and rewrites. Their knowledge of the NR is valuable, and I look forward to working with them so much more in the future. Thanks ladies!!

Mark Dudney (Upper Cumberland Development District): Where to begin? I first had dealings with Mark during the preservation process of Historic White Plains. Charlene McClain gave me his contact information and I am forever grateful that she did. Everyone needs a mentor, and Mark is that for me. Whether it was watching him basically beg people and groups to buy White Plains, picking his brain about everything from writing grants to doing preservation plans and NR nominations, he has always taken the time to help me. He has also never hesitated to give me valuable career advice. He throughly read and gave me valuable feedback on this nomination. I am grateful for his friendship and I look forward to collaborating on more projects. Thanks Mark!!

So that's it. There are more to thank but I will save that for once the press releases are in the newspapers. Do not want to give anything away to soon!!

 At Moore Historical Consulting my #1 priority is historic preservation. Do you own a historic home, commercial building, or farm? If so contact me today to learn more about the historic preservation strategies I offer. These include nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, nominations for a Permanent Conservation Easement, nominations to the Century Farms program, and writing text for historic makers. At Moore Historical Consulting I make exploring and preserving your past fun and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment