Monday, May 26, 2014

Remembering those who served in the Civil War and War of 1812



On this Memorial Day lets take the opportunity to remember the men who served this country in the Civil War and the War of 1812. These wars are often overlooked by our society today. I hope that the pictures below will take you back to the 19th century during the time of these wars.





I personally have ties to the War of 1812. My relatives, Dennis McCawley and Cornelius Carver both served in the "Forgotten Conflict." Future blog posts will deal with the War of 1812.








I also have personal ties to the Civil War. My relative Samuel Carver was a prisoner of war that served with the Union forces. Upon his release he was granted a Union pension that lasted him all the way up until his death. He used the pension to buy land in Granville, Tennessee where he started a farm, which my grandparents live on to this day.

Stay tuned for more blog posts about tales from Tennessee and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment